Home > Popular Stories > > Delicious, Healthy Purim Recipes
Delicious, Healthy Purim Recipes
Some tantalizing salads for your festive Purim meal.
Your Purim can be a super simchah celebration! Let the unity, joy and gratitude combine into a “salad” of celebration that resonates with everyone there!
Try these healthy recipes:
- 8-10 large tomatoes, cubed
- ½ purple onion, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 scallions, diced
- 2 sprigs of fresh dill, chopped (or 1 tsp of dry dill)
- 2 T apple cider vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 1 Tb soy sauce (or 1 tsp sea salt)
- 2 Tb olive oil
Mix ingredients and serve in colorful bowl
SPROUT AND MUSHROOM SALAD
- 1 container of long mung sprouts
- 1 container of large, fresh mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
- 1 red pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 1 green pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 1 large green or black pitted olive
Arrange vegetables slices in flower shapes
PURIM PURPLE CABBAGE SALAD
- 1 large head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 shredded carrot
- ½ cup sliced almonds (nuts can be toasted lightly)
- ½ cup pecans
- 4 green scallions or 2 springs of parsley, sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or less)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- Mix dressing ingredients. Pour on salad.
SIMCHAH CHICKEN STIR FRY
- 2 pounds (1 kilo) (or 1 pound) of sliced white chicken
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced in rounds
- 4 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 peppers (red and green)
- 1 cup of green peas (frozen ones thaw fast)
- 1 small can of pineapple pieces (optional)
- ½ cup of cashews (optional)
- 1 Tb soy sauce
- 1 Tb sweetener (date honey or brown sugar)
- ½-1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Arrange all ingredients in a large pot and simmer together for an hour, stirring occasionally. The sweet potatoes and carrots add a lot of natural sweetening and tons of vitamin A!
HEALTHY PARVE BANANA ICE CREAM
Peel 10-20 (as many as you have!) very ripe bananas and freeze overnight.
Remove frozen bananas. Carefully slice into chunks and place frozen pieces in a food processor.
Add 1 cup water (or 1 cup soy or almond milk).
Blend until smooth. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds and/or chocolate chips. Healthy ice cream!
Chava Dumas is an educator, certified doula, women’s health advocate and cancer support counselor. Read more special tips in her life-changing book Prepare for Pesach B’simchah! 40 Lifesaving Lessons to Help you make it to the Finish Line a book that helps everyone celebrate every day the gift of life!