How to bake the best oznay haman cookies this Purim
December 7, 2023
How better to celebrate this Covid Purim than to make your own Nutella-filled hamantaschen cookies (oznay Haman) from scratch.
With yet another holiday spent at home, and most likely without a costume either this year, you might want to try your hand at making the ultimate Purim cookie – the three-cornered oznay haman.
These fabulous butter cookies can be filled with Nutella or all sorts of other special fillings. The recipe is below, but find out how to make it by clicking on our video.
Nutella Hamantaschen recipe
1 cup butter
½ cup sugar
2 ½ + 1 tablespoon flour
Powdered sugar for cooled cookies
Plus Nutella for filling
One bar each of white and dark chocolate melted separately.
100g shelled pistachios, pulsed in food processor
Instructions for dough, assembly, and baking:
1. preheat oven to 175 Celsius or 350 F.
2. Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix to combine.
4. Add flour and salt, and mix until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out until 4-5 mm thickness, and cut out 3-inch circles with a cookie cutter.
6. Pipe 1 teaspoon of filling into the center of each circle, and fold up the edges in a triangle shape. Pinch the edges.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges and underside are golden.
8. Let cool completely, and sprinkle with powdered sugar, or drizzle with chocolate and decorate with crushed pistachios
Executive Producer – Jonathan Baruch
Producer/Director – Haim Silberstein
Chef – Jessica Halfin
Camera – Ari Amit
About the Author:
Jessica Halfin is an American immigrant who arrived in Israel in 2006. She is an Israeli-trained baker, gourmet cook, food and culture writer, and gives foodie tours to tourists in Haifa City.